[arch-general] User Environment Setup in Arch Linux?

Ondřej Kučera ondrej.kucera at centrum.cz
Thu Apr 23 08:44:24 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> 	Coming from SuSE, I'm used to /etc/profile sourcing ~/.bashrc. I was
> scratching my head as to why my .bashrc wasn't being read when I would ssh into
> the Arch Linux box. Looking at the Arch /etc/profile it seems parts come from
> SuSE, but not the part about also sourcing ~/.bashrc.

I have .bash_profile in my $HOME with the following content:
. $HOME/.bashrc
and it works well. I think I didn't even have to create it myself, it
was done when creating the user.

> 	Any reason not to source ~/.bashrc from /etc/profile in Arch? Will I screw
> myself up somewhere else?

Perhaps if another user of the system wouldn't want to use bash as their
login shell, it might not to be the best solution for them.

Ondřej

--
Cheers,
Ondřej Kučera