[arch-general] Arch doc inclusion policy

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 15:16:16 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase<sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> looking through my /usr/share/doc today I noticed that there were
> surprisingly few packages that actually installed their documentation
> there. Not even the SDL package installed its docs in there. I don't
> mind this too much as I carry all kinds of library documentation in my
> home directory with me at all times to have it accessible when I have no
> Internet connection available.
>
> This left me wondering, though, what Arch's general policy is on
> inclusion/exclusion of library/tool/package documentation for
> /usr/share/doc and if this policy should be generally applied to AUR
> packages as well.
>
> -- Sven-Hendrik

The policy is to include them unless they are very, very big.  In that
case, they can be excluded and, sometimes, provided in a separate
package at the maintainer's discretion (e.g. qt and qt-doc).  In the
past, we were removing the docs systemtically, so packages that have
not been rebuilt since then might be missing their docs.