[arch-general] Weird png corruption issue from Gwenview using "crop" -> "Save As" -> to a smb share

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Aug 9 04:30:09 EDT 2009

Listmates:

	Very strange bug with gwenview. I have bugged it with kde, but would like any confirmation and insight you might have that will help narrow the bug down. Here is the description pulled from my bug report:

Gwenview has been completely reinstalled and the corruption still occurs. In
fact, I have produced 3 corrupt files in a row using this scenario. The latest:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/openSUSE_bugs/kde4/screenshots/gwenview-crop-save-03.png

    Try this scenario and see if you still get a good crop:

(1) Grab a screenshot of a window in ksnapshot
(2) Choose "Open with" -> Gwenview
(3) Crop the image, after pressing the final "crop", choose "File" -> "Save As"
(4) Save to a smb share
(5) Confirm file is corrupt or good and let me know.

    I tried saving the file with gwenview to my local disk and also saving it
to the smb share. Both using the "File" -> "Save As" after a crop. When I save
to the smb share, the corrupt image is about 250 bytes bigger than the good
file:

-rw-r--r-- 1 david dcr 37489 2009-08-08 20:23 gwenview-crop-save-03.png
(corrupt)
-rw-r--r-- 1 david dcr 37231 2009-08-08 20:37
gwenview-crop-save-03.scp2server.png  (good)

    The file I saved locally and then scp'ed to the server is fine:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/openSUSE_bugs/kde4/screenshots/gwenview-crop-save-03.scp2server.png

	I have confirmed this behavior on two boxes running suse but haven't been able to confirm it or rule it out on Arch. If you have a few minutes to try, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC