[arch-general] Can I downgrade the nvidia driver w/o downgrading the kernel?

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 20:55:21 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 9:41 PM, David C.
Rankin<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>        Before trying anything I would regret, I thought I would ask. Is it possible? If so, how? Is "-d" OK here? Worst case, I just end up in runlevel 3 reinstalling the current driver again, right?

I would suggest the following:

1. read the wiki article about ABS, if you didn't already
2. install the abs source tree
3. make a copy of the nvidia package, located in
/var/abs/extra/nvidia, to any other place. The wiki has the details.
4. change the PKGBUILD of your copy to match the version you want
5. rebuild your copy to make your own package
6. uninstall the official nvidia package
7. install yours
8. cross your fingers... just kidding :)
real 8. reboot and enjoy your new package

The datails of the steps are all specified in the ABS wiki article.
Now you'll see what Arch is aboud.

Good luck and hope that helps.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.