[arch-general] arch-release

Patrick Brisbin pbrisbin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 18:43:37 UTC 2009

On 08/26/09 at 01:35pm, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 August 2009 03:19:30 am Nathan K. Bathory wrote:
> > >
> > > pacman -Q obviously not the answer, but whilst on that  - is it
> > > possible to do a pacman -Q, save the output somewhere, then on
> > > another machine, just reverse the process? Would save me heaps of
> > > time putting a system back together as happened last week when i had
> > > to replace my HDD, taken me ages to 'remember' everything I had on it.
> > >

> > > Richard
> >

> 	To save the download time, if the machines are the same architecture:
>
> > `pacman -Qq > pkg.list`
> > then on the other machine
>
> (as root) rsync -uav username at oldmachine:/var/cache/pacman/pkg
> /var/cache/pacman
>
> > `sudo pacman -S $(cat pkg.list)`
> >

> 	If you rsync (or scp or move with a usb stick) the package files from the
> oldmachine to the newmachine before issuing the "sudo pacman -S $(cat
> pkg.list)`, then the install uses the local files and avoid the time required
> to download them. You can easily do a 10 minute install that way.

as a small aside; after being corrected a few times on bbs, i now know
that

  pacman -Qqe | grep -vx "$(pacman -Qqm)" > pkg.list

and

  cat pkg.list | xargs pacman -S --noconfirm --needed

work the best for this.  list out only explicitly installed minus any foreign
packages; then only install those that are needed (pull in your own
deps).

--
patrick brisbin