[arch-general] conclusion: Another rant on arch way abuse and false promises

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Dec 2 06:48:42 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 17:15 +0530, Piyush P Kurur wrote:
> But you can see your xorg-server-antidesktop into the official
> packages. Have a look at the wiki for AUR. It clearly says that
> packages start as being in AUR and then finally end up in the official
> repository after getting enough support.
>
> I think there are others who would also like to have a non hal/dbus
> xorg-servers.  They will support you. But please don't fork Arch. The
> issue you pointed out is too minor, at least to me, to justify such a
> drastic action.

Disabling hal/dbus in xorg-server is a matter of one extra option in
xorg.conf, so there's no need for such a package unless you absolutely
hate hal and dbus so much that you don't want those packages to exist on
your system.

As for the config-dbus thing in xorg-server: I think we can remove it.
It's not used by anything, and upstream has intentions to kill it
anyways.
As for hal support in xorg-server: Upstream is still debating about
this, but in the future hal will get killed and xorg-server will use
udev directly. They're still debating about details though, as
configuration will have to move from hal .fdi files to somewhere else.
This could be udev rules, xorg.conf or even an xorg.conf.d/*.conf
implementation. Until upstream makes that switch, hal will remain a
dependency.