[arch-general] [OT] What is wrong with DBus anyway?

Nathan Wayde kumyco at konnichi.com
Fri Dec 4 14:06:36 EST 2009

On 04/12/09 18:49, Arvid Picciani wrote:
> Sounds like either this discussion is worth discussing again.
> I'll try hard not to trip anyone...
>
> Jan de Groot wrote:
>
>> Really, you're just having a 100% anti-dbus attitude, but somehow you're
>> fine with Bonobo.
>  > Maybe you didn't know, but Bonobo is worse than dbus.
>  > It's a complicated slow framework with a lot of design mistakes.
>
> I honestly had no idea what it is.
> Looks like the ignorance goes both ways.
>
>  >I think that is because emacs decided to be an operating system instead
>  >of a text editor. Seriously, when I read the last release notes, I
>  >though: "WTF does a text editor need dns-sd for?"
>
> That' why fellow minimalists use vim, and call me a whiner. heh.
> Yeah, there is worse people then me...
> On a related note, i had now contact with lots of people of the OTHER
> side of the argument, ie the minimalists, off list. Sorry to say,
> they're even more retarded, in that some even think glibc should be
> removed ( and replaced with _what_? ) or that they think dbus should be
> removed but then whine about their gui breaking (dude, whats your point?).
> Additionaly i researched on some market players behind dbus. Besides the
> smell of money and taste of blood, there are some professional people
> behind this, who may have an agenda hostile to some people, but they get
> stuff done. And whoever gets stuff done, wins in FOSS world. It's that
> easy, and i have no objection to easy politics.
>
>> Note that a lot of work has been duplicated in applications when they
>> were ported to single-instance applications using dbus.
>
> Err. 10 lines of code? I don't even want to know how much code
> duplication dbus type system implies. But yeah depend on how you argue.
>
> - dbus vs some other non unified crap that does basicly the same:
> clear that dbus wins, since code duplication can't be any useful.
>
> - dbus vs system v ipc
> clear that system v wins, since it worked 20 years ago, still does
> and is ridiculously simple.
>
> Similar some people here have argued that compared to ubuntu, archlinux
> is pretty unix. Well compared to ubuntu, everything wins. That's not
> fair :P
>
>> This has been
>> fixed by using the libunique library.
>
> Which could use standard mechanics instead of something unrelated like
> dbus. But i'm glad they abstracted that into a library, so it can be
> replaced with 10 lines of system v ipc code. I should propably smack
> some upstream people on that one next fosdem.
> Everyone doing their own dbus code and then realizing it breaks would
> have been a serious facepalm, considered that this is exactly what
> people trip on who remember corba. Seriously guys, can we PLEASE at
> least avoid doing the same mistakes again? corba sucks, and anyone
> disagreeing please instantly press the kill button on your MUA, or just
> shoot yourself. University here is inventing an object rpc for java
> [...]
I'm confused.
You openly admit you don't know much about dbus or how it works and yet
you continue...

for the record I'm one of those people that re-enable the ctrl+alt
[backspace] X kill functionality and I assure you I'm not pure enough to
be a part of your minimalists...

In the event that dbus crashes and I can't open a terminal I do what any
other non-pretensious Linux user wold do, I ctrl+alt F1..F6 and fix shit
that needs fixing. Maybe you just forgot, maybe you were just looking
for an argument, maybe you're actually a *nix fanboy who feel that
you're too elite poorly Windows users.