[arch-general] libreadline.so issues

Vincent Van Houtte vvh at synergylaw.be
Tue Jul 14 06:52:43 EDT 2009

2009/7/14 Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>

> bardo wrote:
>
>> 2009/7/14 Vincent Van Houtte <vvh at synergylaw.be>:
>>

>>> I had the same problem after installing firefox without updating the
>>> whole
>>> system. Only core, extra, community in use - no testing...
>>>

>> Your mirror probably synced while the move was in progress, this is
>> called bad luck ;) Anyway, selective upgrades are known to break the
>> system, and this has been underlined recently, specifically related to
>> this move.
>>

> Nope - he went "pacman -Sy firefox" which pulled in new libraries (due to
> versioned deps) but did not pull in all the other packages that were needed.
>  "pacman -Syu" is the only good way to do a "pacman -Sy"...

Again, I know I have to keep my Archlinux-systems up to date, but I didn't
have the time to completely update that particular pc, still wanting to
update firefox since my grandfather *only* uses firefox on his computer. I
just didn't know pacman didn't handle all dependencies for me and I thought
upgrading a simple webbrowser would be safe.