[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] vc/* -> tty* transition

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 22:34:38 EDT 2009

On Sun 19 Jul 2009 12:01 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> First off, I don't like modifying config files.  But, given I did
> this update and still managed to screw my system up when testing it
> with a reboot...
>
> So it is a question of which I hate more; post install messages or
> automatically fixing the file.
>
> A post install message means that I tell all complaining users that
> they should have read their pacman output.  But hang on, they are
> already told that there is a .pacnew file for what is a very
> important config file.  So I can say that anyway.  So here is my
> prototype install file...
>
> post_install()
> {
>  if [ -f "/etc/inittab.pacnew" ]; then
>    echo "You are being very stupid if you did not take notice of that
> warning about a .pacnew file"
>  fi
> }
>
> A simple sed of the config file means much, much less complaining
> users.  And given the number of complaints I got about libjpeg7
> (wheres the thanks now gtk and kde are working?), I am very, very
> tempted just to do the sed.

If you expect the users to be stupid they will be stupid, and you will
hold their hand, and they will begin to expect you to hold their hand,
and then we're in trouble. We will snowball right into Archbuntu.

So. Do what's right. Give users a warning, give them time to adjust.
If people start complaining, give them the straight line, plug your ears
and sing 'Lalalala I warned you.' Don't stress yourself.
You're not even being paid after all.