[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Most up-to-date distro

Daniel J Griffiths ghost1227 at archlinux.us
Tue Jul 21 10:13:18 EDT 2009

Pierre Chapuis wrote:
> Le Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:48:51 -0400,
> Daniel J Griffiths <ghost1227 at archlinux.us> a écrit :
>

>> You may well have more success than I do. Finding the current upstream
>> version for packages on hosting sites is easy, doing it for joe schmoe's
>> website isn't so simple... If all you want to do is monitor what
>> packages you maintain that are actually /marked/ out of date, that's
>> simple.. I could throw together a shell script for that in a few seconds
>> (let me know if you think I should).
>>

> Actually my script already does that (using the AUR json interface). What's left to do is expand it with scriptlets for each kind of upstream website we can find.
>
> I have put what I've done for now here http://catwell.info/darcs/index.py?r=scripts;a=tree;f=/luachecks
>
> As I said it's really just a beginning, it took like 15 minutes between two LSM conferences to get it working and I didn't touch it since then. Moreover, it was just to see how I could do it, but I don't think using Lua is a good idea if other people have to help (maybe Bash ?).

I just posted a proof of concept that does basic checking for packages
marked out of date in bash. I'd say your method is more elegant, but
whatever. I just wanted to see if I could do it. At some point in time
I'll expand it to do upstream checking (probably through a -u switch or
something). As of now, it will either display its output to the command
line or, if passed -n, through the notification daemon.

You can find it at http://ghost1227.com/pkgwatch

--
Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)
griffithsdj at archlinux.us