[arch-general] xorg-server 1.6.0 in testing

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Mar 3 02:59:20 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 22:09 -0500, Eric Bélanger wrote:
> I'm having problems with the intel drivers and OpenGL. With OpenGL
> sceensavers, I don't really know how to describe it but I can guess
> what's on the screen but it's garbled.  With some OpenGL games, I get
> a black screen.  I get the following message on the terminal:
> get fences failed: -1
> param: 6, val: 0
>
> I also get that message when running glxgears which works fine.  My
> video card:
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM
> Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
> Graphics Device (rev 02)

Intel has no special interest in the 8xx drivers anymore, so I assume
this is broken and will stay broken for a while.
Can you try replacing /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/i810_dri.so with the
version from intel-dri in extra and test again? I might want to revert
just the i810 driver for this.

The get fences warning is the same I get. This is because the kernel DRM
drivers for intel don't have all the features the mesa DRI driver has. I
hope this will get fixed with 2.6.29, but I'm not sure about that. The
warning is harmless, but I can imagine people will file bugs for it the
same way they did for the "Failed to initialize TTM, falling back to
classic" messages.