[arch-general] smtp daemon

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Wed Mar 4 17:27:12 EST 2009

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Aaron Griffin wrote:

>>> Aha, this is a little different then. For situations like this, I
>>> always configure msmtp to send via my google account. Could that be an
>>> option?
>>>

>> Maybe I am looking at the wiki on msmtp now.
>>
>> GNU Mailutils might work too the following is from GNU mailutils
>>
>> mail.remote
>> The mail.remote is designed as a drop-in replacement for /usr/lib/sendmail
>> to forward mail directly to an SMTP gateway.
>>

> Ah yeah, if you're just forwarding mail to an existing mail server,
> you shouldn't need daemons or anything - there's a lot of mail
> forwarders out there: nbsmtp, msmtp, ...

Just built msmtp and installed.........

added a ~/.mailrc  and a global config and it works pretty much put of
the box.

$ sudo /usr/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/sda | mail -s smartctl-sda-desktop
system at bildanet.com

To: system at bildanet.com
Subject: smartctl-sda-desktop
From: system at bildanet.com
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:19:41 -0500

smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar SE family
Device Model:     WDC WD5000AAKB-00H8A0
Serial Number:    WD-WCASZ0032463
Firmware Version: 05.04E05
User Capacity:    500,107,862,016 bytes
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Wed Mar  4 17:19:41 2009 EST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

etc.

Thanks everyone!