[arch-general] Which security setting in Arch prevents forwarding X apps when su root?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Oct 8 11:14:07 EDT 2009

On 10/08/2009 12:32 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> Which setting in Arch prevents forwarding apps when you ssh -X in an Arch box,
> su and then try to start a kde app, etc.? X forwarding works just fine as a
> user, but when trying it su'ed to root, I get the following error:
>
> [23:29 archangel:/etc] # kwrite
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> kwrite: cannot connect to X server localhost:10.0
>
> kdm config? X config? Any pointers/links would be appreciated.

There's no setting - that just won't work.  Think about it:  you did an
"ssh -X" as some user, thereby establishing an X configuration for that
user.  Then you su'd to root.  Then you tried to run an X application as
root ... when root has no X configuration established.

Probably best way to work around:

[me at local ~]$ ssh -X me
[me at remote ~]$ kdesu kwrite

HTH,