[arch-general] archlinux on old hardware

Dimitrios Apostolou jimis at gmx.net
Thu Sep 17 17:04:50 EDT 2009

Hello list,

I just installed archlinux on a very old laptop of mine PIII at 500MHz
with 128MB RAM. I am planning on using it as a desktop... I should mention
two facts.

First is that I installed from CD succesfully without problems. I remember
in the past the installer would fail with such amount of ram but it seems
today's squashfs goodness is paying back... So what are the current
minimum requirements?

The other is that I had trouble finding a truly lightweight X terminal
(there were times when xterm was considered bloated ;) so I packaged
myself rxvt. Most other distributions offer it so in case you decide to
include it I attach the PKGBUILD.

I'm wondering, what's the oldest equipment you run archlinux on? Is it for
desktop or server usage?

Thanks,
Dimitris