[arch-general] Netbook recommendations

Nicolas Bigaouette nbigaouette at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 22:51:39 EDT 2009

I have a 1000 and I really like it. Came with Xandros, but wiped it for Arch
;)
8GB SSD + 32 GB second SSD. I run KDE 4 and develop parallel code on it
without any problem.

I upgraded to 2GB of ram, really easy to do and it does _not_ void the
warranty. I also switched the wireless card. The rt2860 might be good, but
its driver is bad. A good example of code dumping... now its does not evolve
much: its in staging tree. I changed it for an intel iwl4965.

Everything on it works: wireless, bluetooth, external monitor, suspend, etc.
I did developped acpi-eeepc-generic for the extra butons and such: written
in bash and only depends on acpid.

Pros:
-Keyboard is better on the 1000 then the 90{0,1}. Not only the size but also
the feeling. I had a 901, and the keys near the / were jumpy.
-6 cells battery, more then the Acer Aspier One
-1.3 Mpixel webcam
-Good SSD size: 40GB is more then enough. Fast 8GB is for arch, the slow
32GB is for the rest.
-Can run kde 4 with kwin special effects
-Everything works (special keys, suspend, rfkill, etc)
-Does not come with XP

Cons:
-The touchpad can be jumpy when using 2 finger scrolls. 2 finger circular is
fine though.
-Battery might seem big: it comes out a bit. It's less oversize then on the
901 though: when it was open on my lap, it could just fall on its back!
-Webcam is a bit dark
-Speakers could be louder
-Xandros is really bad

I love my 1000 ;)