[arch-general] A peculiar LDAP setup

Piyush P Kurur ppk at cse.iitk.ac.in
Mon Apr 26 07:15:13 CEST 2010

Hi,

	We have configured a set of machines to authenticate
against an LDAP database. For some machines we do not want the
users to login via their normal shell but some custom program
runs for them. For example if some one tries to login to the
smtp server via ssh, they get authenticated via LDAP but their
default shell fo smtp should be say a program that sets up the
email forwarding.

More generally is there a way, by mucking around in the pam config
or ldap config to ignore certain fields in the ldap database and
fill it with some default values. Is there a way to achieve this
apart from inelegent ways like copying the ldap database locally
and creating a /etc/passwd file ?

Best Regards

ppk