[arch-general] Shouldn't pacman restart dovecot after update?

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Aug 3 17:30:53 EDT 2010

Am Tue, 3 Aug 2010 22:48:48 +0200
schrieb fons at kokkinizita.net:

> Well, that depends. If a user is upgrading a package X explicitly then
> he/she is probably anticipating the consequences, and has prepared for
> them. If X is updated as a side effect that could be different, and a
> warning would be good thing.

Before the system is updated by `pacman -Syu` pacman shows you every
package which will be updated and asks you if you really want to
update. If someone is too lazy to read this list it's his own problem.

And I doubt that someone who is too lazy to read pacman's package list
will read the post install messages.

Nevertheless such messages are not necessary because it's just basic
knowledge and every Linux admin must know that daemons have to be
restarted after updating. It's even better to stop the daemon before
it's upgraded.

> Again agreed. But some changes are quite invasive. Going from Xorg 1.7
> to 1.8 without being prepared for it can hit you where it hurts. It
> happened to me just a few days ago (all is OK now).

I had no problem with the X upgrade. But I read the news on the
homepage before I updated it. ;-) This explained everything I needed to
know.

Well, of course, every update can break something, but usually it's not
a big issue. I'm using Linux since several years now, even if I'm still
not omniscient, first SuSE, then Gentoo, now Arch Linux, and I never
had any serious breakages. I even didn't made any backups of my old
kernels before a kernel update. And I never had a problem with a kernel
update.

Well, I once had one serious issue but that was totally my fault, but I
knew that this could happen before I did what I did. So not an issue at
all.

Heiko