[arch-general] kernel26 2.6.34.2-1 ALSO hardlocks my box on boot??

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Aug 3 18:09:52 EDT 2010

Guys,

	I still have this problem where the changes to the kernel for kernel26 2.6.34
cause my box to hardlock on boot! It happens every time after the kernel has
booted once after the initial build of the initramfs with mkinitcpio. It is
frustrating has hell. I opened bug 20200 which was closed yesterday for some
reason and this bug is NOT fixed.

	I am continuing to run on the LTS kernel which works fine, but whatever changes
were made to the kernel between LTS and 2.6.34 introduced a bug that causes the
boot process to hardlock my box at the message:

   Configuring console for UTF-8 mode

	I suspect the lockup actually occurs at the line or two before where it loads
modules, but I haven't a clue how to determine exactly what is causing this?

	This is serious stuff, if it is causing my Toshiba laptop to hardlock on boot,
it is going to catch others and ... having your box hardlock on boot is somewhat
difficult to overlook. If it were not for the fact that I also loaded the LTS
kernel and have an alternative to boot into, Arch Linux would not run on my
laptop at all.

	What do we need to do to get this fixed?? I have sent Andreas a message to
reopen the bug for the reason "The bug continues to hardlock my box on boot",
but failing that -- what else do I need to do?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC