[arch-general] Help me recover KDE-Plasma context menu

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Aug 14 02:49:11 EDT 2010

On 08/14/2010 12:59 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> I changed the plasma desktop behavior to show application launcher menu on right
> click. Now I'm unable to set wallpaper etc. How to revert to default setting if
> not by rm -r ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma*

Nilesh,

Have you tried restarting plasma itself?

Bring up the run dialog (Alt+F2) or use konsole or xterm and enter the following
3 commands to restart it:

kbuildsycoca4
kquitapp plasma-desktop
kstart plasma-desktop

(You can just copy & paste it into console).

If you find yourself needing to restart plasma often, the you can put those
commands in a small script which can be very handy. Just create a file with the
following 4 lines:

#!/bin/bash
kbuildsycoca4
kquitapp plasma-desktop >/dev/null 2>&1
kstart plasma-desktop & >/dev/null 2>&1

Save it and make it executable 'chmod 0755 filename' and then put it somewhere
in your path (or softlink it somewere in your path). I call this script
'rsplasma' on my box and I just put it in /usr/local/bin.

If resetting plasma doesn't work, you can try removing the launcher you
installed on the right and then re-add the launcher in the default left
position. (it shouldn't make any difference where the launcher is in the panel,
but a lot of things like this just go wrong in kde4....)

Good luck.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC