[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Jan 25 03:37:09 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 03:55 +0100, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> I request using the original cdrtools in place of cdrkit. I know that
> it
> actually was that way once but it was changed due to uncertainty about
> licensing issues. It appears that these issues are now solved with the
> conclusion that there are non while cdrkit is actually the offender.

Last time I checked, cdrtools was not distributable because of licensing
issues. mkisofs is GPL, the lib it links to is CDDL. GPL can't link to
CDDL while staying GPL, so the resulting binary is illegal.
Unless Joerg got approval from all contributors and changed mkisofs to
CDDL, or if the lib it links to was re-licensed to a GPL-compatible
license, mkisofs is distributable, otherwise it's illegal to do so.