[arch-general] Tracking down ATI/Compiz Bug in 2.6.34 kernels (looks like gpu init in 2.6.34)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Jul 16 23:07:08 EDT 2010

On 07/15/2010 02:15 PM, Martín Cigorraga wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> as usual reader of Arch's lists I've been following your issue and while I
> don't have sufficient knowledge nor enough skill with Arch to help you I
> second your thought the issue must reside somewhere kernel/KMS/catalyst
> module:
> currently I'm running a 64bit Arch with a ATI Radeon 5750 HD (1gb) graphic
> card with catalyst 10.6.5 from [Catalyst] repo without any much trouble
> except composite effect. With previous catalyst-test 10.4.444 everything
> worked fine out-of-the-box but now composite is disable on every boot so I
> have to manually enable it on log-in by pressing twice Shift+Alt+F12. I have
> had to drop old catalyst because it isn't compatible with new Xorg and
> recent kernel upgrade and system upgrades but I never experienced these
> issues with that package.
>
> Hope this help you somewhat!
> Martín

Thanks for your help. Yes, that's what frustrates me as well. I can get a feel
for where the problem is, but I don't have the skills to wade into the
kernel-boot and module initialization area of Arch to try and fix it. I'll just
open a bug and we will go from there.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC