[arch-general] "community/jre" and "community/jdk" packages are out of date - PKGBUILD proposal

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at alaux.net
Sun Jul 25 11:50:00 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

"community/jre" and "community/jdk" packages are out of date.

I have merged the two PKGBUILDs in one split PKGBUILD (enclosed to this
email with the srcpkg) and updated the links and md5sums.

It works fine on my i686 Arch. Will test it on x64 tonight when at home.

Would someone want to test it further? Could it be useful to the official AL
repo? If the merging into a single split package isn't worth it just say so
and I could just update the current PKGBUILDs.

I also have some suggestions for these packages:
- rename them from {jre,jdk} to {java6-sun-jre,java6-sun-jdk} or so would
enable us to use different versions of SUN's JVM (Java5, 6 and 7)
- move files from /opt/java to /usr/share/java6/java6-sun-{jre,jdk} or so to
comply with the AL Java packaging
guidelines<http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Java_Package_Guidelines#Example_Directory_Structure>.
That
would also enable /usr/share/java$i to host all JVMs files
- use a custom script to build package instead of "buggy" construct.sh

What do you think?