[arch-general] Important notice on the Arch Security Team to the whole Arch Linux community.

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Tue Jun 22 21:56:52 EDT 2010

On 06/22/10 15:21, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> i just am having a hard time believing that you
> are not only going to track down holes, but have the competence to
> properly fix them, for all the reasons i've already specified.

part of the situation is, lots of upstreams don't have security
competence either -- especially volunteer-run projects, but I bet some
commercial undertakings don't either.  So they don't make point-releases
as soon as an important security issue is discovered; or they make a
patch but the patch is incorrect (often established distros have, in
some ways, a better sense of how to patch a security flaw than a
individual upstream because the distros see a lot of security flaws --
like buffer overruns, etc).

It's clear that spreading more information more quickly about security
issues sounds productive, (as long as the information is as correct as
can be, which a volunteer team may be able to have some fair amount of
competence at, I'm guessing)

-Isaac