[arch-general] BTRFS integration

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Thu May 6 01:28:43 CEST 2010

On 05/05/10 19:10, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> subvolumes can be mounted two ways via a mount option:
>
> 1) subvol=<subvolume_name>
> 2) subvol=<subvolume_id>
>
> 1 can only be used if the subvolume is in the root of the FS, i.e.
> /__active would work, but /root/__active would NOT... the mount option
> cannot have slashes and i don't know if this will change.

since we control the structure, why not the (slightly uglier)

/root__active
/root__rollback
/root__20090807
/home__active
/home__...

just remove the slashes or replace them with some other character like
dash or underscore.  `ls` will still sort things alphabetically so there
will still be some semblance of order for the humans, and it would
behave nearly the same to the machine.  And it will be easier for
debugging purposes if all these subvolumes are accessible by name.  (Do
you think you can ask upstream whether they want to change or keep the
restriction on slashes(i.e. volumes in subdirectories), in light of our
'.' organizational ideas?)

-Isaac