[arch-general] pkg-proxy ?

Andre "Osku" Schmidt andre.osku.schmidt at googlemail.com
Sun May 16 07:33:50 EDT 2010

2010/5/16 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 23:47 +0200, Andre "Osku" Schmidt wrote:
>> 2010/5/15 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:
>> > Check out 'pkgd'
>>
>> thanks, works nicely!
>>
>> only couple issues that would be nice if it could do too (or already
>> does, and i just didn't find out how)
>>
>> - not usable from arch installer. i assume i cant use it as proxy
>> setting what is asked in the installer. but maybe i can somehow else
>> use it from the installer?
>
> You would need (AFAIK) to install some packages first to start using it.
>>
>> - if the package is not found on the pkgd server, it will be loaded
>> from internet to the client machine. is there a way to tell the pkgd
>> server to download it and serve it to the client ?
>
> Not that I'm aware off. Talk to Xyne.
>
> Perhaps you'd just want to set up your own mirror. There's projects for
> that as well in the AUR, just search.

do you mean a general mirroring tool ?
as i didn't found anything pkg specific mirror tool...

and wouldn't a mirror tool require my server to have ALL
core/extra/community packages ? how big are those repos ?

it seems there is (yet) no pkg-proxy tool (ala apt-proxy[0]) that
could be used from installer and on. also the proxy should get new
files only when a client needs it...

i assume Xyne is the author of pkgd, ill contact him/her later and ask
if these features are possible to implement in pkgd. but for now, ill
just get packages (net)install wants from internet, and use pkgd after
that (and add pkgs that clients want manually to the pkgd server)

cheers
.andre

[0] http://apt-proxy.sourceforge.net/