[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] kernel 2.6.34-1

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Tue May 18 15:33:07 EDT 2010

Am Tue, 18 May 2010 17:55:12 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> > However, these firmware files are needed for R600/R700/Evergreen
> > cards [1], therefore I see two options:
> >
> > 1) radeon_ucode [2] can be brought to [extra] and an announcement
> > added to the front page informing users about this. (The package
> > should also be renamed to radeon-ucode in order for it to be
> > consistent with the rest of the firmware packages.)
>
> This sounds like a good idea. This could even be included in core AND
> installed on the installation ISO. Andy, this seems like your area,
> what do you think?

The firmware belongs more to the kernel. At least I don't have a card
to test it. If you want to bring it to the official repos go on.

But I think it's not in the kernel for good reasons. Probably license
issues. I haven't checked that. I don't see a problem keeping the
firmware in AUR until the kernel guys pick it up.

We could also add an optional dependency or post an install msg in the
kernel pkg or radeon ddx pkg.

Your choice.

-Andy