[arch-general] Dovecot: bug or user error?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Oct 7 13:26:57 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 13:16 -0300, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> After some long debugging sessions, I realized that
> my failure to connect to my freshly setup dovecot server was because
> dovecot-auth failed.  It was looking for the mysql and postgreql
> shared
> libraries that were not installed.

If dovecot-auth links to the mysql and/or postgresql libraries, those
libraries should not be in optdepends, but in depends.
The problem with adding link-level dependencies for optional components
to optdepends is that namcap doesn't know why you added the optdepend,
and doesn't report any warning about link-level dependencies for
optdepends. We've seen these bugs in several applications, so
maintainers should really pay attention to this.