[arch-general] Setuptools broken?

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Tue Oct 19 19:25:42 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

With the python upgrade from 2.7 to 3.1, I ran into the following snag.
gitosis from AUR depends on python and setuptools.  Now, python =
python3.1 now and setuptools installs in the python2.7 library tree.
This was easy enough to fix, by simply replacing python with python2 in
the gitosis PKGBUILD.  However, I would expect that python2 will
disappear completely somewhere down the road.  What then?  Moreover,
being a purist, I would like to avoid having two python versions
installed on my machine.  So what's the deal with python3.1 and
setuptools?  Is the procedure for installing python packages different
under 3.1 than under the old 2.x series, and there simply are no
setuptools any more?  If that's the case, I guess it's the
responsibility of package maintainers to migrate to the setup used in
python3.1.  If setuptools is still what is needed in python3.1,
shouldn't there now be two packages setuptools and setuptools2 that
install in the library trees of python3.1 and python2.7, respectively?
(I'm happy to file a bug report if this is indeed a bug.)

Cheers,
Norbert

--

()  ascii ribbon campaign  -  against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org    -  against proprietary attachments