[arch-general] dovecot.conf kills update (conflicting file)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Sep 1 08:48:11 EDT 2010

On 09/01/2010 07:44 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> The dovecot update needs to be fixed. Currently, on upgrade you get:
>
> checking package integrity...
> (288/288) checking for file conflicts [#####################################] 100%
> error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
> dovecot: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf exists in filesystem
> Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
>
> which is a bit frustrating. I know we talked a little about fixing dovecot (and
> other packages that break if upgraded but not restarted) so I don't know if this
> is related (I thought the discussion/debate was whether to add a one-liner
> advising that a dovecot restart was required), but in any event, related or not,
> dovecot should update without failing due to the existing dovecot.conf
>
> Do I open a ticket or is this post enough?
>
> I have asked this question of whether to open a ticket on every bug or whether
> little items like this are preferred to be worked from the list w/o a ticket
> opened at least 3 times now and I have never received an answer (I apologize if
> I have missed it). I want to help Arch the best way I can. If you want bugs
> opened on everything, let me know -- I'm happy to open them. If you can work an
> issue from the list, then at least let me know "I'll take it from here" so I
> know things are not being missed. Thanks.

I forced the update and:

warning: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf installed as /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf.pacnew
 > IMPORTANT DOVECOT 2.0 UPGRADE NOTICE
 > ------------------------------------
 > see http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.0
 > make sure, you convert the dovecot.conf file
New optional dependencies for dovecot
     libmysqlclient: for MySQL back end
     postgresql-libs: for Postgres SQl back end
(  8/289) upgrading empathy
 > To use Empathy you need to install at least one Telepathy connection
manager.

Great job on the notice :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.