[arch-general] dovecot.conf kills update (conflicting file)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Sep 1 12:58:58 EDT 2010

On 09/01/2010 08:59 AM, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 07:44 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> <snip>
>>   but in any event, related or not,
>> dovecot should update without failing due to the existing dovecot.conf
> <snip>
>
> The dovecot.conf file was created by you previously, hence why the
> update is failing. The new dovecot package provides dovecot.conf (I
> think because upstream provides it).
>
> Pacman gives an error in situations like this, as it well should, since
> I doubt anybody wants their configs wiped out. As such I don't think
> this is even a bug.

? Que?

	I thought that was what was supposed to be handled by .pacnew and .pacsav. Of
course there will be a dovecot.conf. (dovecot won't work without it) Everybody
knows that. Why should/would an Arch update not be able to handle that simple fact.

	You know more than I, but to me, it looks like a bug that Arch needs to be
smart enough to fix. I propose that whoever maintains dovecot for Arch fix the
install to install the new dovecot.conf and dovecot.conf.pacnew. That way we
don't blow up a 288 package update just because the dovecot installer isn't
smart enough to know that if dovecot is already installed -> expect a dovecot.conf.

	Do you disagree with that? If so, why?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC