[arch-general] kde 4.5.1-1 looks much better.

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Sep 1 19:22:21 EDT 2010

On 09/01/2010 12:59 PM, Robert Howard wrote:
> I noticed the wallpaper changer thing myself and think it's great to finally
> have that horrible dropdown list replaced with something decent. On the
> other hand, since the 4.5 update my Plasma-workspace process has crashed
> everytime I login to KDE via KDM. It respawns 15 seconds later and works
> fine but it always dies once right after login. Also, dolphin seems to be
> really slow and laggy.
>
> Rob

Rob,

	Don't forget, for plasma restarts, there are only 3 commands required. If you
find you need to restart plasma (or just to check for messages during restart),
put the following in a little script called 'rsplasma' (or whatever you want to
call it):

#!/bin/bash
kbuildsycoca4                     # 'k'de 'build' 'sy'stem 'co'nfig 'ca'che
kquitapp plasma-desktop >/dev/null 2>&1  # quit plasma
kstart plasma-desktop & >/dev/null 2>&1  # restart the darn thing and pray

get rid of the '>/dev/null 2>&1' to see the bazillion lines of gibberish and
errors. That may help narrow the issue.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC