[arch-general] Best Practices...

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Sep 28 19:23:24 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Ng Oon-Ee's message of 2010-09-29 00:55:12 +0200:
> On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 00:12 +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > Excerpts from Ray Rashif's message of 2010-09-28 23:19:19 +0200:

> > > Check out the features:
> > >
> > > "* option to trust specific AUR users to fully automate AUR package building"
> > >
> > > From: http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/bauerbill/
> >
> > Ok, but what does this mean? I see a list of features but it's hard to
> > get see use cases from a list.
> >
> > Trust an AUR user means I can for example trust myself and have it build
> > a package from my sources. That's pretty much all it tells me.
> > It doesn't tell me whether it solves any of my problems, whether it can
> > do something like automatically building the latest version of packages
> > with the options I want.
> >
> You can specify a patchdir which makes automatic modifications to the
> PKGBUILD. Its less useful than it sounds though, would prefer a bit more
> flexibility (like a 'hook' running some sed commands), but its great
> as-is.
>
> So for example you can set it to 'always-build' mplayer, when there's an
> mplayer update that's what it will do. If there's a relevant patch in
> your PATCHDIR (or whatever its called now) that'll be applied.

This sounds pretty much like 'works fine as long as the maintainer only
changes the version number'. Correct?

> Trusting an AUR user simply means no prompt for 'are you sure you want
> to compile this, please check it first' for packages from said user.

Ok, so that's rather irrelevant.

Thanks for the info, I currently use slurpy for AUR stuff and IgnorePkg
for stuff that needs manual builds. It sounds as if bauerpill might help
to improve the situation a little bit, so again, thanks.