[arch-general] Change Arch's default crond

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Apr 7 06:32:50 EDT 2011

Am Wed, 6 Apr 2011 22:03:23 -0600
schrieb Thomas S Hatch <thatch45 at gmail.com>:

> I would say that we should consider compatibility with vixie cron
> syntax - this is and has been the expected syntax for the default
> cron daemon for a LONG time and avoids hindering Arch Linux adoption.

Why do you need vixie cron syntax? Can't you migrate once to a new
syntax? Btw., most of fcron's syntax is the same as the syntax of every
cron daemon. You can easily take your previous crontabs. You probably
have only to do some changes which could most likely be done by sed.

In first place you need stability, reliability and useful features. And
this is given by fcron. And don't tell me anything about compatibility.
I would consider this argument if fcron was a new cron daemon and if
it was totally incompatible.

Fcron is known since years and it's known to be stable and reliable,
while cronie seems to be pretty new. There are absolutely no
informations about cronie's features, no documentations, no feature
comparisons to other cron daemons, etc. on upstream's website. And it's
still in AUR and has only 3 votes there.

> I spent quite some time as a trainer for Red Hat and taught classes on
> SELinux.

Is this why you want to push cronie so heavily?

Heiko