[arch-general] base stuff

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 8 07:32:52 EDT 2011

On 08/04/11 20:43, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Jelle van der Waa<jelle at vdwaa.nl>  wrote:
>
>> And on a side note, I don't like archlinux forcing users to use SELinux
>> because users should have a choice to use any MAC software they want.
>> That's why AppArmor /Tomoyo are nicer solutions cause they don't require
>> recompiling of packages ->  increasing bugs/problems.
>>

> If we compile our packages with SELinux support, does that force users to
> use SELinux? I was under the impression that these changes would be
> completely benign on non-SELinux enabled systems. --Kaiting.

If we compile with SELinux support then the developers need to support
using SELinux.  I certainly will not be supporting it with any of my
packages (which includes ~1/4 of the [core] repo...) and I have not
heard any other developer suggesting they will support it.

In my opinion, SELinux would be better supported in a user provided
repo.  Work with the guy (whose name I can not remember...) who has done
an awesome job getting this all done and into the AUR.

Allan