[arch-general] [arch-announce] GNOME3 in [testing]

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Sat Apr 9 00:10:11 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27 at verizon.net> wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 02:11 AM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Matthew Monaco<dgbaley27 at verizon.net>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> But I don't like that pulse uses so much CPU and i think it's a major reason why
>>> my computer is runn 5-8 degrees C hotter with gnome3
>>
>> FWIW, this is almost certainly a bug that can be fixed. In my
>> experience PA allows huge power savings compared to ALSA (down from
>> more than 100 wakeups/sec to less than 10 wakeups/sec).
>
> I don't see how your CPU can be _less_ active with PA. I thought PA added a
> layer that didn't exist before and didn't actually remove anything.

AFAIK there are no additional layers; they run at the same layer.
"ALSA" is ambiguous -- it tends to apply to either the kernel API, or
the API provided by alsa-utils depending on speaker and context ...
both solutions [PA, alsa-utils] still use the kernel API -- the
additional "layer" of emulating the alsa-utils userspace API would be
next to nothing (it wouldn't really be a "layer" per se, just some
extra calls internal to PA).

ime ... PA be rockin' :-)

C Anthony