[arch-general] Change Arch's default crond

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Apr 21 07:18:33 EDT 2011

Am Thu, 21 Apr 2011 08:48:04 +0200
schrieb Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com>:

> I second this suggestion. cronie upstream isn't dead at all. cronie
> is a drop-in unlike fcron which was favored earlier.

Is it such a drop-in like the new dcron when dcron upstream was adopted
by this Arch user?

Better look at the features and the use cases (don't only think of some
24/7 servers, but also think of the desktop users) and not at some small
differences in the crontab syntax. It's definitely not such a big work
to re-adjust a few crontab entries if this is necessary at all. And this
work has to be done only once and can probably be done with sed.

And cronie still has only 4 votes in AUR after one year! Why? Could have
a reason as packages which are useful and/or necessary for several
people are usually getting a lot more votes in much less time.

I can be wrong, but I really have the feeling that switching the
default cron daemon to cronie will be a big mistake. And wasn't there
someone who wanted to test both daemons and write a feature comparison?
Nothing heard about it anymore.

Heiko