[arch-general] ARCH .y kernel releases do not match kernel.org's

Emmanuel Benisty benisty.e at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 03:07:23 EDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Sonntag 24 April 2011 schrieb Emmanuel Benisty:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was having some sound issue with ARCH 2.6.38.3 stock kernel so I
>> started to bisect it from Greg KH's 2.6.38.y stable tree.
>> .38.2 was good and .38.3 was bad (so I thought) but I hadn't any
>> single bad commit during bisecting. However, .38.4 /was/ bad. I could
>> finally find the guilty commit (which is in .38.4) but couldn't
>> understand why I was hit by this issue even with 2.6.38.3-ARCH. Then I
>> diff'd both .38.3 patches and found out that Arch's one includes
>> patches that are not in Greg's release. It seems we include patches
>> that are still in -stable patch queue.
>> Finally, I just have one question: is that normal? All I can say is
>> that it made my bisecting session a real PITA. Please give me back my
>> CPU cycles :P
>>
>> Cheers.
>> -- Emmanuel
> The .3 contained some prepatches from the stable queue.
> That is the explanation for it.

Thanks Tobias but I already learned that the hard way :P

Should we really do that? Or in that case, shouldn't the package be
given another version? That is really confusing.

Furthermore, those patches are still being tested in a way. Here's
what Greg KH says in the announcement:
"If anyone has any issues with these being applied, please
let us know."

That is before the .y release...