[arch-general] Printer driver

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 18:35:00 EDT 2011

On Thu 28 Apr 2011 22:50 +0200, Maciej Sobkowski wrote:
> I want to install driver for my Brother DCP-J315W printer. I've downloaded
> driver files from brother's site, since there is no package, neither in repo
> nor in aur. It was in deb format, also rpm available. The driver is split
> into two packages: dcpj315wlpr and dcpj315wcupswrapper. I converted them to
> tar.gz archive with deb2targz, extracted and I don't know where to put the
> files to get the driver working.

> Hierarchy in cupswrapper:  /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcpj315w/cupswrapper/,
> and there are
> brcupsconfpt1  brdcpj315w.ppd  cupswrapperdcpj315w files.
>
> In lpr there is /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcpj315w/lpd/ where are
> brdcpj315wfilter  filterdcpj315w  psconvertij2,
>
> and /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcpj315w/inf/ where are
>  brdcpj315wfunc  brio08ba.bcm  brio08bc.bcm  brio08bf.bcm  brio08bk.bcm
>  paperinfij2
> brdcpj315wrc    brio08bb.bcm  brio08be.bcm  brio08bg.bcm  ImagingArea
> setupPrintcapij

I would recommend using the rpm because there is only one extraction
step. Also you don't need any special tools to convert or extract rpms
or debs. makepkg will automatically extract those archives via bsdtar
(part of libarchive).

I would move /usr/local/Brother stuff to /usr/share/Brother
You might have to edit some of those scripts and wrappers with sed to
get the proper paths.

If you're using cups you need to remember to add your printer to the
cups server for it to work.

Please see this wiki page for some tips:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages_for_Brother_drivers