[arch-general] Installation of libreoffice

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Thu Aug 4 11:32:20 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 05:30, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:

> > It's not always possible to make the non-DE users happy. In fact,
> > non-DE users have to adapt to the latest conventions and most
> > importantly, adapt to the norm. It is up to us to see whether an
> > integration works satisfactorily and without all the bulk, rather than
> > demand it. Expecting '-gnome' or '-kde' to always come with their
> > desktop-specific dependencies is not a proper expectation, for it is
> > not always "integration" in the correct, or full, sense.

I have no idea what you're talking about in this paragraph.

What Ray is referring to is those of us who don't use a DE at all, but
some type of Window Manager and the apps we wish to use. The tighter
gnome and kde make their integration, the harder it is for us to use
the DE's apps and the more useless dependencies we have to install to
make something work. The one dep that really irked me was having to
install lib(g)weather? with gnome just to use Gnumeric, Abiword, and
some of the gnome games. To install those one had to install part of
gnome which required the panel which in turned required lib(g)weather?

I'll shut up now as I don't want to hi-jack this thread with more than
enough clarification.