[arch-general] Gnome 3 Always in Fallback Mode

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 23 05:14:05 EDT 2011

On 23 August 2011 10:51, Max Xie <max.t.xie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I've installed the 'gnome-shell' by the full installation command:
>
> pacman -Syu gnome
> pacman -S gnome-extra
>
> and 'gnome-shell' is surely installed.
>
> The option "Force Fallback Mode" is OFF as the default. But, the problem
> haven't gone.
>
> The GNOME cannot probe my Graphics, it shows 'Uknown' in 'System info'
> control-panel.
>
> My CPU is Intel i5-2300, with Intel HD 2000 Graphics within it and that's my
> graphic processor. I've heard about the newest 'xf86-video-intel' can
> support the Intel's new Sandy Bridge and also HD 2000/3000 Graphics so I
> installed it. It seems to work fine with xmonad and Fallback Mode of Gnome.
> Is that driver still under developing and not able to provide Hardware
> Acceleration? Or just the Gnome don't support it? Or I have chosen the wrong
> driver?
>
> How can I check whether the driver supports 3d hardware acceleration (of
> course out of Gnome)?
>
> ----
> Mail by Max Xie
>

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Guillaume ALAUX <guillaume at archlinux.org>wrote:
>
>> On 23 August 2011 09:48, Max Xie <max.t.xie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Sorry for my bad English.
>> >
>> > I've just bought a new computer about 1 month ago and I tried to install
>> > archlinux as second OS on it yesterday. But when I got everything done
>> and
>> > started the Gnome, it took a minute and, started in Fallback Mode with
>> > a dialog box telling me maybe I have not got proper driver for the
>> graphic
>> > card. It appeared just the first time I start Gnome, nerver I got that
>> > dialog box further, still in fallback mode.
>> >
>> > My graphic card is Intel HD 2000 integrated in CPU. I'm using
>> > xf86-video-intel as the driver. I can't check what's wrong.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > ----
>> > Mail by Max Xie
>> >

>> Hello,
>>
>> Have you installed 'gnome-shell' as explained in the wiki [0]?
>> To get back to regular gnome-shell mode, launch gnome-control-center,
>> navigate to "System info", tab "Graphics" and set "Force fallback
>> mode" to OFF. If it still says you cannot use it then you may have
>> issues with your graphic drivers.
>>
>> [0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnome#Introduction
>>

>> --
>> Guillaume
>>

> The GNOME cannot probe my Graphics, it shows 'Uknown' in 'System info'
control-panel.

That should not be relevant: I have 2 computers here running Gnome OK
in regular mode saying Graphic card = "Unknown".

I have no Intel graphic card so I am not experienced with them but:
have you followed the wiki [0]? Especially parts about KMS.

You should have a look at your Xorg.0.log.

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel
--
Guillaume