[arch-general] Removal of jre/jdk and jre6/jdk6 from [community]

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 13:18:44 EDT 2011

Oracle recently decided to remove the DLJ (Operating System
Distributor License for Java) from their license on their own
proprietary implementation of java [1].
For a good article explaining the situation, please refer to [2].

This means that you will have to use openjdk6 from [community] or get
jre/jdk (java 7) and jre6/jdk6 (java 6) from the AUR.

My personal opinion is that although openjdk6 is more buggy, I
encourage everyone to use it and report bugs against it from now on.
This will be better for linux in the long run.

I will not be maintaining these packages in the AUR anymore.

Oracle's original blog post
[1] - http://robilad.livejournal.com/90792.html

Article explaining the move
[2] - http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylvestre/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u