[arch-general] end of the war! Mate has come to archlinux...

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 9 03:08:15 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: arch-general-bounces at archlinux.org on behalf of fredbezies
Sent: Fri 12/9/2011 08:52

If you have a nvidia chipset, you can use nouveau driver with gnome 3.

+++

Unfortunately a lot of people can't use nouveau for audio productions. For my 7200 GS this driver completely is a PITA. I have to use the FLOSS nv driver, dropped by Debian or the proprietary nvidia driver. 3 system calls for the kernel-rt don't allow you to use the proprietary nvidia driver, you need to fake the licence to use this driver. Unfortunately GNOME is a good desktop for audio production workflow.

Other users might have other reasons to be pissed by GNOME 3 and of cause, for some users GNOME 3 seems to be a good successor.

Cheers!

Ralf