[arch-general] Accented characters in X terminal?

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Wed Dec 14 12:12:03 EST 2011

Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti [2011.12.14 1450 -0200]:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Mauro Santos
> <registo.mailling at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 14-12-2011 12:48, Magnus Therning wrote:
> >> I just noticed that I no longer get accented characters in my
> >> terminals (I've tested lxterminal and gnome-terminal so far).  Instead
> >> of the Swedish characters "åäö" I get "???".  Far from ideal.  This
> >> used to work a while ago (we're talking days, possibly weeks).  As you
> >> notice it works well in non-terminals (like in Chromium where I've
> >> writing this).  Anyone else seeing the same behaviour?
> >>
> >> A search turned up this answer-less forum post[1] , if there's an
> >> answer then I'll re-post it there too :)
> >>
> >> /M
> >>
> >> [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131000
>
> Long shot here, but this could be ibus related. See

I can see the characters just fine in your email, and I'm reading this in mutt
running in an xterm.  My situation is that I don't want to type any of these
characters but want them to display correctly.  Following the information on

http://fedoraforums.org/form/archive/index.php/t-66116.html

and a few other google hits I've forgotten by now, I have the following in my
.Xdefaults to get these characters to display fine while not producing any
strange characters using e.g. Meta-A.

XTerm.utf8: 1
XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true
XTerm*eightBitInput: false
XTerm*eightBitControl: false
XTerm*eightBitOutput: true

Look at the xterm manpage to see what these do.  If you don't use xterm but
something else, I would suspect there are similar options you can set to get
this to work.

Cheers,
Norbert