[arch-general] a plea for python 2

Alex Bolgarov alex at bolgarov.org
Thu Dec 15 10:51:38 EST 2011

> you all think the proper fix is for
> me to put in the docs something like "on Arch systems you need to do
> [x] before building", whether [x] is "get the PKGBUILD with the patch
> from AUR" or even "run the sed-python-with-python2.sh included in the
> distribution".

I personally don't think it is a proper fix - I think it is not a fix
at all. My opinion is that Python3 is sufficiently different from
Python2 to be considered a new language, not just a new version of old
(thus it would be appropriate to use new name, 'python3', for it,
leaving 'python' forever referring to python2). (That is, desire to be
on the bleeding edge does not warrant breaking existing software)

If I were you, I would probably stop putting shebangs into my Python
scripts (so that they would be not executables), and write a shell
wrapper script for every python script that figures out during runtime
how python2 executable is called, and call python2 script using this
python executables (or write single script with symbolic links to it
with different names and use $0 shell variable to find which python
script to call).