[arch-general] Top Posting Revisited

Rodrigo Amorim Bahiense rodbzro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 01:15:33 EST 2011

On 12/16/2011 02:03, Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr. wrote:
> I don't really think that people put any conscious thought into if they
> should top or bottom post. A majority of mail clients and
> the aforementioned Gmail default to top posting. What I would like to know
> is why is this the common practice. Obviously, people on forums and mailing
> lists like everything in the top down, first to last format. This
> frustrates me. I'll have to look into that greasemonkey plugin.. I am
> always fighting gmail on this issue.
>

> Ringmaster

I believe top posting is common because [average] people don't use
e-mails to write/read long texts anymore, but rather for chatting.

Actually, nowadays it seems natural that if there is a way people can
chat through some text message system, they will. I've unfollowed a lot
of people who apparently thought twitter was just another web messenger.

--
Rodrigo