[arch-general] Howto - tell pacman -S (-U) to overwrite existing file in filesystem?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Feb 21 02:35:21 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 12:49:06AM +0100, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> [2011-02-20 17:28:17 -0600] David C. Rankin:
> >   From your answers, I don't think you read my question before giving the the
> > RTFM dismissal.
>
> I read (and answered) the question that is the subject of this thread.
>
> The lengthy details of how you got to ask yourself this question don't
> interest me much, so I admit I just skimmed through your message. That
> is also why I replied off-list: to avoid polluting the list; replying to
> my reply on the list defeats the purpose.
>
> > The question is "Can I do something in the PKGBUILD to tell pacman
> > - if the file is already there -> overwrite it?"
>
> To the best of my knowledge, there is no way of doing that, except of
> course overwriting the file via the install script.

I'm just curious, which part of the install script is run *before*
pacman checks for conflicting files?

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with
millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural
integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.
     -- Alan Kay