[arch-general] root on NFS and archlinux init scripts

Thomas Bahn Thomas-Bahn at gmx.net
Sat Jan 15 15:13:09 EST 2011

Hi all,

one of my systems is booting over PXE and running diskless.
The root-filesystem is mounted over NFS by the kernel (with the help of the net-hook in initcpio).

On  shutdown there is a message '/: device is busy'. I found out, that this is originated by the netfs-script in /etc/rc.d.
It tries to umount everything on the network. By removing this hook the warning went away.
I think this is not as meant. Its not a critical error, only a warning, because of that i would hear you opinion on that.

Additionally i discoverd following piece of code in rc.shutdown:

stat_busy "Unmounting Filesystems"
/bin/umount -a -r -t noramfs,notmpfs,nosysfs,noproc,nodevtmpfs -O no_netdev
stat_done

Here, only non-network filesystems are unmounted, right? So, an NFS-root is not unmounted on shutdown.
That is not good, i think it should be looked for a solution.

What do you think?
Would be nice to hear from you.

Greetings
Thomas Bahn

Here are my settings related with nfs:

kernel-parameter:
rootfstype=nfs root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.2:/srv/nfs/erich,v3,rsize=16384,wsize=16384 ip=dhcp

/etc/fstab entry for the root:
none / none

/etc/rc.conf:
NETWORK_PERSIST = "yes"

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf:
MODULES="nfs"
HOOKS="base udev autodetect net filesystems"