[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 21:11:40 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 03:07 +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:

> I'm quite satisfied with the current sysv init. It does everything
> which is needed to be done at boottime. And the init process simply is
> only for booting the system and for nothing else.
>
> Btw., Ubuntu with its upstart or systemd is not starting faster for me
> than Arch Linux with its sysv init, at least not in Virtualbox and QEMU.

Specifically on this topic, I've noticed that the latest Ubuntu (which I
setup on an old laptop for someone else) boots up REALLY fast, faster
than Arch on this newer, more capable machine.

I've not really put much effort into streamlining boot, but just to
mention that whatever they've done with Upstart, it does bring boot
times down.