[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 21:28:00 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 03:18 +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:11:40 +0800
> schrieb Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:
>
> > Specifically on this topic, I've noticed that the latest Ubuntu
> > (which I setup on an old laptop for someone else) boots up REALLY
> > fast, faster than Arch on this newer, more capable machine.
> >
> > I've not really put much effort into streamlining boot, but just to
> > mention that whatever they've done with Upstart, it does bring boot
> > times down.
>
> Probably just because the daemons aren't started at boottime but
> sometime at runtime when upstart or systemd thinks they are needed?
>
> I'll test the latest Ubuntu in the next few days.
>
> Heiko

I've always dismissed it as simply that, but I recall just commenting
out all my daemons for one boot in Arch, and it didn't really help much.

The MAIN problem seems to be that I'm using gnome =). As I said, never
bothered much to check it out. The latest Ubuntu does leave a good
impression on the start though (boot time and initial viewing, the
themes are good).

That said - I remember the mountains of ppas and self-compiled software
I used to have. No thanks =)