[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 19:10:02 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Yaro Kasear <yaro at marupa.net> wrote:
> If it isn't broken, don't fix it. We put grub2 in [extra], not [core], for the
> same reason we really should put systemd in [extra] and not [core].

Don't get me wrong, but no one is putting anything anywhere. This is
not a voting. The decision of bringing any package to the official
repos is exclusively on the shoulders of a developer willing to
maintain it. So all the discussion about entering or not is moot.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying the articles very much. The comments
on each blog post are very enlightening. It even shows that Lennart
has more patience than I would have... I've seen it being bashed
without any reason and yet answer politely.

One very inspiring comment by Lennart, that sums up a lot of my own thoughts is:

"... you are right, systemd is nothing like traditional Unix. And that
is a good thing. Unix has been designed 41 years ago. You honestly
believe that its design is perfect and flawless and 41 years after it
was designed still should be followed in all detail? No, computers
changed, and Unix never was perfect. It probably was a better design
than most other operating systems, but this does not mean it is
perfect and we should never depart from it."

So, maybe we could tackle this discussion with an open mind, instead
of being so zealots about what you already know. Remember, you didn't
born knowing Linux. You can learn other things too :) I'm happy with
the thread, because I'm having a good time reading about systemd. I'll
try it in a few moments and see what it gives. Thanks Risinger for the
links and Tom for the packages :)

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?